Here are 19 reasons why I teach–one for each of my years as an educator, plus one for next year.
I teach because…
- my parents were teachers, and teaching is a noble way to earn a living.
- my parents taught me to respect teaching and learning.
- I had amazing teachers.
- students need allies and advocates.
- kids do amazing thing–things I never could and things they don’t know they can.
- because students do amazing things like this.
- teachers are the best colleagues to have: smart, supportive and supremely kind.
- our world needs more thinkers and tinkerers.
- because I love to track growth: my personal growth, the growth of my students, and the growth of my peers.
- because I had teachers who cared deeply about my growth.
- I care about the life of the mind.
- teaching provides me with a daily reminder that I am a learner too.
- I enjoy the rhythm of a school year.
- I get claustrophobic in cubicles; I need a classroom space.
- I love to see students make connections–ones I imagined and ones I never could.
- EdTech makes teaching more dynamic every day.
- I like to engage students in reflection on what they are learning and how they learn best.
- I like to see wheels turning and hear things clicking.
- there there is always another chance to get it right–for students and teachers.
Why do you teach?